Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crayola Rex

Have you ever done something totally insane and it turned out awesome?

Back freshman year, I got the notion that I really needed to buy a car. My sweet friend Megan was always more than willing to give me a ride if I ever needed to go anywhere (which thankfully wasn't too often because I lived on campus), but I don't like being a mooch. So, I decided that I was going to buy my car off of eBay. Yes, eBay.

I looked at hundreds and hundreds of car and finally found a sweet deal. I bought Crayola Rex (my 2003 Jetta) while sitting in the library at BYU. I remember freaking out a little bit when I realized I won the "bid" and called my dad right away to let him know that his little girl just bought a car that she had never driven or seen from a complete stranger in a different state!

Thank heavens luck was in my favor and this car was a total steal. The poor seller didn't put a "reserve" price on it and it should have sold for much more $$. I was sneaky and didn't bid until the last moment (2 other bidders kept going back and forth, back and forth) and sealed the deal. The seller actually contacted me soon after and told me he was just fine if I backed out because he had many other people offering to buy it for much more money. Sorry, bucko, I still wanted it!

So, my dad and I flew out to Texas, drove it around (the seller was still insisting that I shouldn't buy it), paid the man, and drove home.

I have many fond memories with the car and I am hoping that it lasts for a long time. You might be wondering why I named it Crayola Rex. Well, for some reason, the car always smells like crayons. And... I like dinosaurs. And... Crayola Rex just sounds good and it stuck.

So why this blog post dedicated to my car? Sunday was the big day. The day Crayola Rex made her 100,000th mile. It was while driving the Alpine Loop - so really a great way to enter the 6 digit world with a bang. Oh, and over 50,000 of those miles were with me in it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

You also might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...