Wednesday, February 10, 2010

hug an abuelo


Sometimes I really just want to go hug my grandparents... like today. Betty passed away and I got to thinking about how awesome old people are and how much I can learn from them. Like on my mission - the old Mexican ladies were the coolest people ever! My favorite one, Josefina Santillan was incredible - she was always telling me craaaazy stories. For example, she had a baby in a river. The way she puts it:

'So, I was just out washing my laundry in the river when I realized I need to have my baby. So, I sat down and had her. Then I found a sharp rock and cut the umbilical cord. I washed off the baby (with detailed explanation on what is the best way) and went home. My husband came home and looked at me and said, "what happened?" "I had the baby." "Oh, that's nice." '

Then a few years later she had another one on the side of the road.

So, naturally I'm excited to meet all the Guatemalan abuelas also. I leave in four days... Exciting!! Haha... everybody is giving me advice. Let's see... some of my favorites...

1. Don't die
2. Put your money in your shoes
3. Don't drink the water or you'll never leave the bathroom
4. Get a tan and dye your hair black
5. "Bring me back a Guatemalan man" - Jen

Anybody else have advice? But yeah, things are great - had some adventures today packing and getting ready (who knew it would be so much work?!), baking cookies, and PAINTING with my sis. I'm really going to miss that girl - and everyone else!

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps I'm not the only one who told you that, but i'm glad my advice got #1 on your list. haha. :) Because I really DO mean it!! much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachy, I will miss you SO much! My sage advice for Guatemala is to always try to look like a man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mmmm. pizza. and green chile and chicken. i love you. i just burped and blew it at you :) that's because we have such a special relationship. I'm going to miss you a whole heap man.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

You also might like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...